Friday, March 16, 2018

[Kate] Black Headed Python Experience

Yesterday was our last day in Cairns.  Before we headed to the airport we went to Hartley's Crocodile Adventures, a zoo mainly based on crocodiles near Cairns.  There were also koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, many birds, cassowaries, and a multitude of other Australian animals.  As we were heading to our first attraction (a saltwater crocodile feeding) we went past the picture area, where people can pay to have their picture taken with some animals.  The man at the front was holding a baby crocodile, so all of us crowded over to look.

He told us a little about the crocodile, and what kind he was (saltwater crocodile).  We also got to touch him.  So the man asked if we would be in some pictures for advertising.  Um...sure!

Grace and Cannon held the baby crocodile in from of a backdrop while a photographer took some pictures of them.  They were grinning even though I knew that hey were both freaking out a little--who can blame them?  I certainly can't.

Here are my siblings holding the baby crocodile.  Cannon looks bored, which is strange to me because 
he later told me that he was freaking out.  Grace is smiling but there is fear in her eyes.
Then the photographer asked me to hold a snake they had.  Um...okay?  A little freaky.  It was a black headed python, a species of snake that eats mainly snakes and other reptiles, as well as a few birds.  Humans weren't on its diet, thankfully.  Black headed pythons can grow up to three meters long, which is almost ten feet.  Thankfully (?) this specific snake was only (I'm not sure if that word can really apply here) two and six tenths meters, about eight and a half feet.

Here is the snake.  Its name comes from its distinctive dark head.
I got the snake wrapped around my neck (isn't that a bad idea with a python by definition?) and held it up, smiling for the camera.  The snake kept moving.  I know snakes move, but that's a lot more freaky when you're holding it.  It felt like a while that I was there, but I guess it wasn't so long.

At the end we got two pictures, one of Cannon and Grace holding the crocodile, one of me holding the snake.  Yay!  Souvenirs!

Okay, so yes, unnerving experience, but still cool!

Here we are!  Yes, I know I look freaked out.  That's because I was.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing it was only 8 1/2 feet. Snakes can't kill you until they're at least 9 feet. I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

    ReplyDelete