Thursday, July 12, 2018

[Kate] The Problems With Hotel Rooms

Look, I've spent the last five months or so living mostly living out of hotel (I say mostly because the Air BnBs we occasionally use).  I've had to figure out how to live in them, mostly when I'm sharing a room with my two siblings.

First and foremost, power outlets.  To everyone out there in the hotel world, for heaven's sake, put more that two power outlets in the room!  And I'm begging you, put them by the beds!  For example, in the hotel room where I currently sit, by moving the lamp's cord, we managed to get two power outlets for the three of us.  The result: a mishmash of cords and adapters getting tangled and confused.

Our communal cord station in our current hotel room
...pardon the Twix wrappers.
The best part?  The two power outlets are literally smack dab across the room from the main bed.  So I can't easily plug my phone in by my bed when I'm ready for bed, and my phone alarm in the morning would end up going off bang across the room.  Not ideal.

And then there's storage.  Look, we have three suitcases and three backpacks in the kids hotel room, but in almost 100% of the hotel rooms where we've stayed, there is only one luggage stand, and precious few other feasible platforms to place bags.

Then in some hotel rooms, there isn't any bathroom privacy!  And I don't just mean that the door doesn't lock.  I mean there literally isn't a bathroom door.  Or the door is made of glass.  So everyone can see you in the bathroom.  For example, in our hotel room in Rabat, there was a door to the bathroom...it was just covered in holes.  For no particular reason, it seemed, other than design.  Not helpful!  Everyone can see you!

This is the bathroom from Rabat.  You can see the edges of the
two black sliding doors with holes on either side of the image.
And let's not forget how so many hotels don't have hair conditioner.  I'm living in hotel bathrooms pretty much 24/7.  I really would appreciate hair conditioner.

Look, I get some things in hotel rooms are not realistic, such as unlimited plugs.  But surely some things are not that complicated to fix (Like the privacy concerns! Just add a solid door and everything good.  I mean really, who's call was it to have a door that didn't serve the true purpose of a door?????).  So please, if you're a hotel director reading this for some random reason...please fix it.

3 comments:

  1. I'd also add air conditioning! I'm so perplexed by almost all the hotels we've stayed in that have big fluffy duvets on the beds, but no air conditioning so it's way too warm to use a duvet. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review and the photo of the holes in the bathroom door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - I am behind on your family blog because I was working at a summer camp this last week (and will again this upcoming week). I am not a hotel manager, but if I ever have that job title, I will take your recommendations under serious consideration.

    ReplyDelete