Wednesday, July 4, 2018

[Kara] Minimalist Travel--Five Continents via Carry On

You probably already know that we're doing this whole trip with only carry-on sized luggage.  It's one of the aspects of our adventure that people are most curious about, so I plan to write a series of blog posts about what we've brought with us, how we carry it with us and how we decided exactly what to bring.

We each have a small rolling suitcase--the size that fits in the airplane's overhead bin.  Plus, we each have a backpack that can slide under the seat in front of us (theoretically--occasionally it is too, too full!).  The kids' backpacks are their regular school backpacks--nothing fancy.  Seth and I have been using 40-liter hiking daypacks, but I recently switched my hiking-style pack for a business travel pack and I'm really happy with the change.  (My hiking pack didn't have a great format for filling and accessing the main space.)

Our luggage has taken a beating on this trip, and it has all held up pretty well.  Seth and I have Tumi suitcases, and the kids have Eagle Creek suitcases.  We invested in high quality luggage because we knew we didn't want luggage malfunctions or explosions.  So far, so good.

Packing light isn't just to make flying easier.  It makes road trips easier too.  We've had four separate sections of our adventure that have been road trips (in New Zealand, South Africa, Spain and France) and having less luggage is key to everyone--and everything--fitting comfortably into our rental cars.

We are carrying the things you'd expect:  clothes, shoes, toiletries and electronics.  Plus everyone has to carry some portion of our general family equipment which includes plug shape adapters, extra charging cords (because they always die, don't they?), cameras and camera equipment, games, laundry supplies, first aid kit, and assorted small tools.  Oh, and snacks.  We always have to have snacks.


Things we don't have with us:
  • Books--It's hard to believe that we have only one book with us!  It's a paper copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in French.  Everything else that we read is on Kindles or iPads (via the Kindle app).  It's a bit sad to travel without books, but it's one of the sacrifices we make to travel light.  
  • Blankies--Each of my kids has a favorite blanket from their childhood.  It was a difficult decision to leave them at home and when my kids are sad or sick or homesick, they really feel the absence of their comfort blankies.
  • Liquids over 100ml/3.4 oz--Tiny liquids only!  
  • Our dog Rugby--Of course, Rugby couldn't come on this trip.  She is staying home, having her own adventure living with friends of ours.  Our kids have really been missing Rugby recently.  Like the blankies, Rugby is a sweet source of love and comfort and when we're tired (and tired of each other!) is when we miss her most.

I'll describe what we carry with us in detail in upcoming posts.  If you're curious about anything specific, let me know.




1 comment:

  1. While I love books, I have to admit that I am quite ok traveling without them. On past trips, books have taken up quite a bit of space in my backpack - between scriptures, guidebooks, books to pass the time, etc., I am ok having these consolidated into an electronic device for travel. Audiobooks have actually been the most useful for me as I found myself driving quite a bit on our trip - sometimes while my family was sleeping in the car. The only actual book I had with me on our trip was an old, falling apart copy of 101 Famous Poems that Seth let me keep after we were missionary companions together.

    ReplyDelete