Friday, July 13, 2018

[Grace] Norway Fjord Cruise

Yesterday, our first full day in Norway, we spent the day in Bergen which is the second largest city in the country. Today, we are taking a series of vehicles (one bus, one boat and lots of trains) to get to the nation’s capital, Oslo.

We took a train, and then a bus, to get to the city of Vas. From there, we took a very pretty bus ride to get to a small port at the end of a fjord, where we boarded a boat that would drive us through the fjord.




We had incredible weather on the boat. We had done one previous fjord cruise, in New Zealand at Milford Sound, but that day was overcast and slightly rainy. But today the sun was out, so the water glittered and the temperature was pleasant. It did get a little windy, but I didn’t mind that.



I was amazed at the beauty of the fjord. Everything in Norway has been stunning, but I was especially in awe on this journey. The water was a deep blue-green, the cliffs were covered with green vegetation, there was the occasional waterfall and mountains could often be seen in the distance with the remnants of snow.



I spent a lot of time up on the top levels of the boat, taking pictures and admiring the view even when the rest of my family went below deck for a reprieve from the strong wind. When I went down to one of the lower levels of the boat to join my family, Cannon and Kate decided they wanted to try and give me some new hairstyles. So that is how I ended up looking like this:



I went up to the top deck to soak in more of the view. By that point, the wind had died down and so it was pretty toasty! I had a good view as the boat docked in a small town named Flan. It just so happens I'm writing this blogpost right now in Flan. As always in Norway, it is beautiful. I'm so grateful that I am able to explore this wonderful country!


PS While this post is just going live now, I wrote it on Monday. So when I reference "today" I don't actually mean today.

1 comment:

  1. Fjords - sounds interesting, but I am most impressed with your new hairstyle. Also, you are confusing my caveman brain with your references to "today" that are not really today.

    ReplyDelete