Friday, July 13, 2018

[Grace] I am an Art Nerd & My Top 5 Paintings in Paris

On this trip, specifically in Paris, I discovered a newfound love for art. I had been to many art museums before, including the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay, the best art museums in Paris (in my opinion). Despite the fact that I had been to these great museums in the past, I never actually enjoyed them. Sure, I had a couple favorite paintings and I could recognize major artists, and sometimes I didn't hate art museums, but they were never my favorite.

This trip, however, changed some of that. I still get bored in museums, just less often. My parents know a ton about art and art history, so with their help I was able to help get a grasp on the basics. Once I had learned a little bit about art, I found the physical paintings much more enjoyable.

After spending time in lots of museums in Paris, I've compiled a list of my top five favorite paintings that I saw while in Paris (in order from least to most favorite).
  1. The Fortune Teller - Caravaggio
  2. Raft of Medusa - Théodore Géricault
  3. The Wedding - Henri Rousseau
  4. Arearea - Gauguin
  5. Floorscrapers

5. Arearea - Gauguin

Found in the Musee D'Orsay

I love Gauguin's paintings, and this just happens to be my favorite one in Paris. I think Gauguin's use of color is incredible; he takes colors that should look ugly together and makes everything look cohesive. Also, his subjects are much more interesting to me than most other art subjects. 

4. The Floor Scrapers - Gustave Caillebotte

Found in the Musee D'Orsay

This painting is beautiful! First of all, I would never think that a painting of floor scrapers could be anything but ugly. This just goes to show how a talented artists make anything beautiful. But my favorite thing about this painting is the lighting. As a photographer, I live by the quote "lighting is the lens through which we see the world." Caillebotte captures the light in such a magnificent way.

3. The Wedding Party - Henri Rousseau

Found in the Musee de L'Orangerie

I absolutely adore Rousseau's style of art. I particularly love this painting because of all the faces of the people, which I think are very interesting. Another one of my favorite parts of this painting is the background - Rousseau is known for his jungle scenes, and we see a little bit of that come out in the vegetation in the behind the people.

2. Raft of Medusa - Théodore Géricault

Found in the Louvre

I love this painting! The composition in incredible. Absolutely incredible. While the online version of this painting is nice, nothing can compare to seeing it in person. It is gigantic and that just makes it so much more impressive. If you were going to see one painting on this list in person, definitely make an effort to see this one.

Drum roll please.......

1. The Fortune Teller - Caravaggio

Found in the Louvre
Important fact about me: I love Caravaggio. I think he is brilliant and influential and creative. This painting is my favorite of all time. I love the simple background, with the shadows on the people's faces. The incredibly realistic people with their outfits - I could go on and on! But, by far the best thing about this painting is a small detail that is easy to miss: if you look closely, you can see that the fortune teller's fingers are around the young man's ring on his finger! She is pretending to read his fortune while trying to scam him. Caravaggio is a genius and anywho who disagrees can fight me.





2 comments:

  1. No Van Goghs?

    Van Gogh is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! A challenge to a fight? Just to be the devil's advocate and in order to set up a fight that think I can win, I will state emphatically that Caravaggio is NOT a genius. I'll meet you at the bike racks after school for our brawl. On a side note, although it has been several years, the Raft of Medusa is one of the few paintings that I specifically remember from the Louvre.

    ReplyDelete