Sunday, April 8, 2018

[Kate] Painting in Vietnam





While we were in Hue (in Vietnam) we went to an art shop to investigate the different types of artwork.  It was really interesting, and we saw a lot of Chinese-esque art forms.  They used a metal based paint on many different surfaces.  Metal, wood, canvas. 

This is the shop we went to.

When we had looked around we had an opportunity to try our hand at painting.  We were given the metal based paints and some ceramic (with flower design outlines in bronze already on them, thank goodness) to paint on.

This is what they looked like before paint.



These are some examples they showed us.

This is our workspace.

Mine had a lot of small areas to paint on, and I did my best. But in my life I've already come to terms with my subpar artistic skills.  My yellow and orange flowers were spotty at best, and the paint was very stubborn at staying where I asked it to.  In the end I kind of gave up on it looking like a traditional painting and tried to focus on making it look like I made it messy on purpose...I'm not sure how well I did.

When we had finished painting, one of the helpers took our ceramic canvas and put it in a blazing hot kiln, were it stayed for a couple minutes.  Then they carefully transitioned the blazing hot piece to a sink, where they scrubbed it, and finally they cut off the excess edges and framed it for us.


This is the kiln. 
This is them trimming and getting ready to frame.

 After that we each were presented with out finished product!

This is me with my finished product. (Cannon is trying to 
photobomb in the background.)
This is Grace with her painting.

This is Dad with his painting.

This is Cannon with his.

And this is Mom with hers. 
(Again Cannon's there photobombing.)

1 comment:

  1. Of course, I am amazed at the artistic ability in your family, but I think I am most impressed by the full beard that your dad is sporting.

    ReplyDelete