Saturday, April 7, 2018

[Grace] Elephant Pants aka My New Favorite Item of Clothing


Our last night in Laos, we walked around the night market looking for souvenirs. We had walked through the entire market, so we had a very good idea of all the touristy trinkets - and I had my eye on a very specific item.


ELEPHANT PANTS.


I'm a very fashion-focused person. I love shopping for and wearing all sorts of the clothes. But usually my style is pretty plain - black skinny jeans, stripped t-shirt, nothing fancy.

But as soon as I saw these pants, I knew I needed them. I don't really gravitate towards patterned clothes, but these elephants pants were calling my name (it was a little unnerving to hear pants call out "Grace! Grace!" but I managed).

It's now almost a week later, and I have many thoughts on elephant pants:
  1. Cheap cheap cheap!
I first bought elephant pants in Laos; I bought two pairs for around $3-4 (converting between Laotian money and USD hurts my brain). Later, in cambodia we bought elephant pants for $2 and $3. To put things in comparison, these pants cost less than a Jamba Juice smoothie (great, now I want a smoothie).
  1. The fabric is very thin and not the best quality.
The fabric of these pants are pretty thin, so if the lighting is right my mosquito-bite-covered legs are on full display. Also, I've had the pants for less than a week and they already seem to be pilling and there a couple loose threads. But because the pants are under $5 I can't be too mad at the quality.
  1. They're great for buddhist temples.
In lots of the buddhist temples in Cambodia (or any more modest country) you're not supposed to wear clothes where your knees are showing. And especially in Cambodia, it was hot! So I definitely didn't want to wear full-length pants, but I also didn't have any shorts that were long enough. So these pants, which were ankle-length on me but also super flowy so they were perfect.
  1. Find the right fit!
When I first bought some elephant pants, I bought two sizes. After I got back to the hotel and tried them both on, I found I preferred the larger of the two pants I bought. I gaze Kate the other pair of pants I bought, but she didn't love them - I think she would have liked them more if they were a bigger size. I think you definitely need to find the right size, and the bigger the better.

Kate and her pants

Overall, I love elephants pants. If I had to choose between my brother and elephant pants, I think we would become a family of four. They are my favorite souvenir I have picked up so far - maybe because they're basically warm-weather sweatpants. I recommend everybody buy the first pair of elephant they see. If needed, buy the first available plane to southeast Asia. 
Me being happy with my pants. 


2 comments:

  1. Can you pick up a pair for me please? I need waist size 36 and inseam 28 (ok, 38 and 26)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete