Monday, February 26, 2018

[Kate] My Thoughts on Airplanes


We’ll be on flights a lot over these six months.  Here are some of my ups and downs (hopefully not literally!):

Picture by Grace
Things I Like About Airplanes:

-We can get so quickly from Point A to Point B!  Well, it doesn’t always feel like it.  Especially now, as I sit writing this down on a fourteen hour flight.  But compared to taking a ship from California to Australia, count me in for flying.
-I get time to just relax.  Well, not relax exactly, but I have books and electronics on hand so I can do some zoning out, and enjoy the activities I’ve brought.
-The view!  Seeing the sunset or sunrise is amazing, and even in the middle of the day, rushing past the fluffy clouds, it’s breathtaking.  And I especially love the view just after takeoff and just before landing.  Everything’s so cute and tiny!


Things I Dislike About Airplanes:

-It’s so cramped!  You can hardly buckle your seatbelt without knocking your elbow into someone.
-The food is terrible!  I have recently attempted to eat my breakfast after about thirteen hours on a plane and it’s so disgusting.
-There’s no Wifi.  Okay, I know this is a really 21st century 1st world child problem, but when I have a cool idea for a bog post it can be a little irksome.  And if I want to nerd out on Pottermore.  Or if I want to write on google docs.
-Have I mentioned the food is terrible?
-So this is more of a me problem, but every time we hit some turbulence a part of me thinks we’re going to crash and die, despite how much time I’ve spent on planes.
-And then there’s sleeping.  I’m not a good sleeper even when I’m in my own bed.  Sitting in a chair with a bunch of people all around me, loud fans, lights, a shifting plane…well, let’s just say sleeping on flights isn’t really my thing.

I know flying is lightning fast compared to times past, and I love it for that.  But all the same, it isn't much of a wonderland for me either.

2 comments:

  1. I feel you with the sleeping thing! I could not sleep at all on our overnight flight to Germany! So fun to see how many adventures you're already having!

    Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! It's especially irksome when my two siblings are snoring next to me, having fallen asleep easily. :)

      Delete